Monday, February 7, 2011

Why Indians don't eat beef?


I asked many people about that, and the only answer that I get is, cow (pasu) is like God. Well, that answer was not good enough for me and I began some research on my own. Here is the best explanation that I got from my research.



Try asking the Europeans why they don’t kill/eat horse. Well, that’s exactly why we don’t kill/eat cows. Get the picture? If you don’t, then let’s fly back to ancient India. As we all know, ancient Indians depended on agriculture as their main source of income. Their life depended on it. And that’s how the story of Indian civilization began. Without the help from cows and bulls, the Indian civilization would have been almost impossible. They were the backbone from which our ancestors shaped the civilization. When drought struck the region, people depended solely on cow milk to replace the scarcely available water. That allowed them to survive difficult times. Bear in mind, ancient Indians were very thankful towards nature, and everything that allows them to live on earth. From the soil they step on, to the sun that rises every day, everything is appreciated, and offered a prayer as a sign of gratitude. Same goes to the cows and bulls. They play an important role in every ancient Indian’s life and that is why donating a cow to another individual is considered as the highest deed in Hindu religion. That was when a bond was created between man and cow. Those days, dogs were not man’s best friends. It was cows. Thus, slaughtering them was out of the question.



I do not know if we will end up in Lord Yama’s kitchen if we eat beef or not, but I do have respect for them, and I won’t eat/kill/torture them as well. If they were not there, our civilization must have been quite impossible.

Another opinion says that, a cow can be compared to a mother. They are as gentle as a mother towards her children. Well, I think that is quite obvious. For those who doubt that, maybe you should pay a visit to the estate I live, and I’ll take you on a tour. A baby grows by drinking mother’s milk. Then, after growing a little bit, they live by drinking cow’s milk. So, now do you understand why a cow can be compared to a mother?

Many Indians (doesn’t matter Hindu, or non-Hindu) do not know this. So, please do spread this news to them. As far as I know, many Indians eat beef because they don’t believe it’s a sin. But, it’s actually more than religion, it’s about culture.

 If there's any other opinion on this topic, do share with us :)

2 comments: